Saturday, July 12, 2008

One Hot PussyCat Doll Melody Thornton

Melody Thorton
Melody Thornton
MELODY THORNTON


Melody is the only member chosen from an open audition talent search. Being the only Latina and African-American in The Pussycat Dolls means a great deal to her. "I think a lot of the audience can relate to me", she says. Melody was born in Phoenix, Arizona on September 29, 1984 to a Mexican mother and an African-American father. Her talent was first discovered at an elementary school talent show when she sang "Without You". She sang backup for local artists, the National Anthem for the Arizona Diamondbacks, and at Arizona State University talent shows.

Melody first saw The Pussycat Dolls on Christina Aguilera's MTV Diary. "I loved the concept and if Christina loved it, that's all I needed". Thornton recorded the show and played it back over and over. When she heard on MTV News that the group was auditioning, she took time off from her job in the City of Phoenix after-school recreation program and drove to Burbank with her mother and sister. When they arrived at 5 a.m., five people were ahead of her. Thornton went in for the audition and her mother and sister waited across the street in their car for nine hours.

"I tried to mimic the concept to get noticed, she says, but that wasn't easy. I've never even had a dance class. But once I sang, I worked it". Called back with three others, she did choreography for a day and then sang for Iovine. "I wasn't nervous because I didn't know who he was", she says with a laugh. "Besides, I don't like to come off weak. Failure is not an option". She then sang for Fair, who accompanied her on piano. A week of rehearsals and a Viper Room show later and Thornton was welcomed aboard in December 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment